Wednesday 16 November 2016

Random musings from The Crew


It would seem making any progress reports as I journey through The Crew would have taken more time than it did it actually get it done. Either by sheer effort (which wasn't much) or design, I have reached the current maximum limit for levels.


My latest achievement was accomplished by simply driving around the map (I put completing the storyline on hold, having a blast doing my own thing, without limits) and performing some of the skill tasks along the way. The rewards of this was experience to level up, parts for the vehicles I own and taking in the sights and sound of the virtual environment. However, it was two locations I visited recently that triggered a bout of nostalgia.

Long ago and in another game unrelated to The Crew, the sight in the background of the above picture was a common occurrence, if only for a short time.


My longest detour from any driving game was World of Warplanes. Some might know me from there, others wouldn't. In a nutshell, WoWP was early to mid 20th Century based combat aircraft, team arcade shooter produced by WarGaming. I have another, but dormant blog about some of my adventures there.


For April Fool's Day 2014, WoWP introduced the Sleipnir, a UFO based on WWII German designs (who knows for sure if they were authentic or fabricated) and players and bots battled it out in a special, limited time "Snowball Fight" mode. Some saw this as a waste of resources, better used to fix more pressing game issues, others saw it for what it was, fun. I know I had a lot of it.

Still, seeing a vehicle very similar to the Sleipnir in The Crew brought back some great memories from that time period.


Then, I just happened to come across an aircraft graveyard in the desert and more flashbacks were triggered.


Although not an exact representative of the same era, the single engine fighters I found come just after the available choices in WoWP. The top of the line American fighter is the North American F-86 Sabre, this appears to be more like the North American F-100 Super Sabre that would have replaced it.

I didn't progress that far up the American line, however my Soviet Yak-19 share a lot of the same design features and attributes to it's Allied/NATO counterpart.



Meanwhile, I have taken up "residence" in a winter wonderland called Saint Mary, modeled after the real life, unincorporated community of St. Mary, Montana. Located in the upper middle of the map and attached to a rendered version of Glacier National Park, I have even gone as so far to pick out a house that will be used for parking the Escalade, when I decide to end my gaming session for the day.

I find it odd that I would choose to return to a virtual, winter environment....


....and driving a vehicle with more than just a few shared qualities....


....that my current lifestyle doesn't even share. However, real winter or the virtual type, I still remember how to drive in those conditions....


No comments:

Post a Comment