Wednesday 19 September 2018

Dream a Little Dream


Say the word Bugatti to someone and one of two things might happen. One, they will have no idea what or who you are talking about. Two, visions of a Veyron, Chiron and/or the hyped Divo could enter their heads (unless you are talking to a true connoisseur, then brace yourself for words like Type 46/50, Type 57SC Atlantic and such).


However, you also might hear about the EB110.

I can't rightly recall the first time I saw a 110, be it on TV or in a magazine (I know for sure I have yet to see one with my own two eyes), but the shape, the sound and the very mystique of the car has been burned into my mind for the remainder of my life. Even today, almost thirty years later, the very thought of it quickens my heart and brings about a sweat producing response.

Powered by a 3.5-liter V12 engine with four turbochargers, the EB110 put out anywhere from 550 to 603 hp horsepower through an all-wheel-drive system, something quite a few modern cars take for granted. The EB110 was the right car at the right time to take on other "Supercars" of the day, such as the Lamborghini Diablo, Dodge Viper, Ferrari Testarossa, Jaguar XJ220, McLaren F1 and Acura NSX to name a few.

Sadly, production ended in 1995, after four short years. However, because of this and low production numbers, with only 139 built, they have become very valuable, with a low mileage black 1993 Bugatti EB110 GT being sold by RM Sotheby's - ARIZONA 2018 for $967,500 USD.


Not that long ago, I had the chance to see this marvel from long ago on the small screen. A show called The Grand Tour, starring former presenters of Top Gear, got their hands on an EB110 and took it for a burn around their test track. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the times, compared to other cars on the board.


Thanks to racing games, namely Forza Motorsport 6, I have the opportunity to drive this dream car from the 90's that will never happen outside the virtual world....

No comments:

Post a Comment