Thursday 27 October 2016

Wide open worlds


A while ago now, the Forza Horizon 3 Demo was released on Xbox and I decided to give it a try. It's been a long time since I played any kind of demo, so I was a little surprised just how limited the gameplay and other option choices were. Nevertheless, it did whet my appetite for the full version.


Horizon 3 brings back to the table a style of gaming I haven't experienced since the shut down of Need for Speed World, open worlds. As much as I enjoy racing around on the virtual tracks presented in some games, others can be the "great escape" from being fenced in through directed actions. There is a interesting and rewarding feeling that comes from smashing down game barriers and nobody really gets hurt. 


Seems the full version has a car I might even have a slight interest in....


....maybe, I will wait for a sale.



The Crew was a mistake purchase of sorts. I blame myself for not looking into this game more closely and just assumed when they made the claim of it being Multiplayer, it meant the option of a split screen, two player mode. Nope, Multiplayer means a Singleplayer online MMO.


I did get a email from those nice folks at Ubisoft, a welcome gesture whenever I receive these in my inbox.


And, thanks to their player reward called Uplay, I was able to pick up a bonus/gift car. Seems I had accumulated a few points to cash in from my Silent Hunter 3 days. Anyways, here is what I have in my garage, thus far and an idea of the gameplay from a free-roam perspective....


Still, my son and I are having fun with driving around in the nearly unrestricted, open world environment. The missions on the other hand, don't always allow you to use the cars one has in their garage, given a specifically modified vehicle to complete or attempt a task....


While The Crew gives a player an abridged version of the United States to explore (which could take days, if not weeks to even come close to completing), Horizon 3 takes place in Australia (who doesn't want to check out the "Land Down Under"?).

Both could be good games to take a break from....a break with.

No comments:

Post a Comment