Monday 1 June 2020

Forza Street For Android - A First Look


The whole Forza series from Take 10 Studios and Microsoft was a pleasant surprise when I first discovered it and still impresses me now.


My virtual racing days got started with a black Playstation 2, with titles like Need for Speed Underground and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec and 4 (yes, I even had and loved Midnight Club II for it). I spent hours (which could add up to many, many days) playing, making mistakes, thinking I learned my lessons and discovering I had to go back to driving school.

While Need for Speed would be available on other platforms, Gran Turismo would and still be a Playstation exclusive (granted there are emulators, but they don't complete the experience, like hearing the PS2 startup sound and such), so when it was time to move on from my little black gaming box, Gran Turismo would become a memory.


Yes, the family got a Nintendo Wii U to replace the old Sony, but I was heavily involved with the purchase of this particular title.

The graphic jump from the PS2 to the Wii U was stunning leap forward in my gaming world. The downside was the Nintendo couldn't handle it for long and after an hour or two of playing, the console would freeze up or shut down from overheating. The game was very demanding the the Wii U's available resources.

I can't remember exactly how I came across the mobile ported version of this game, but my Samsung Galaxy Note II became my first "console on the go," with like Shift 2 and others added as time went on.



Then came the Xbox One.

As of right now, there are zero Need for Speed titles on it, but entries from both Forza Motorsport and Horizon series' populate the internal and external hard drives. Like the Wii U before it (we still have it, collecting dust and only cleaned for those "nostalgic" moments), the Xbox One was another graphical evolution. Forza has brought a near-real gaming experience, within the limitations of the time and technology, much like Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec and 4 did, back in the day.


Following in the footsteps of the consoles, my cellphone has been replaced over the years too.

The Samsung Galaxy Note II gave way to the Motorola Nexus 6 and currently on the Huawei P30 Lite. The only title that lived on all three phones has been Real Racing 3, which has more or less, become my "mobile racing standard" I use when trying out other games from the same genre. Despite being over seven years old, the game has aged rather well in both the graphic and playability departments.


Which brings me back to where I got started, Forza Street For Android.

On my Dell Inspiron 7559, I have Forza Street through the Xbox Console Companion app, except I have never fired it up and played it. However, I recently came across and advertisement for a ported version for Android and decided to give it an edited go....

No comments:

Post a Comment