Saturday 11 April 2020

Rationalizing The Reality


This picture sums up what I was wanting out of my next vehicle, the versatility from a CUV/SUV and a higher level of performance from a small displacement, turbo charged engine. Sadly, both this particular Range Rover and Porsche were not options to consider (I doubt the owners wouldn't have been interested in selling me either one at what I was willing to pay for them).


As I have mentioned before (and if you are new here, I will cover it again), the benchmark for my 2015 Mitsubishi RVR replacement was going to be a Porsche Macan. Short of just buying the vehicle (and all the extra expenses that come along with the purchase, ownership, etc), I wanted to do it on a more conservative budget, especially during these uncertain times. Perhaps, I might get a Macan in the future....


....but the Kia Sportage will be the vehicle for the foreseeable present.

Based on all my research, which involved watching a lot of YouTube videos, reading articles and the one-and-only test drive that turned into a deal, the Sportage appeared to be the "budget alternative" I was looking for. Even some select specs were very comparable....

252 hp - 273 lb-ft torque Macan 2.0 litre Turbo  237 hp - 260 lb-ft torque Sportage Turbo
Length: 184.90in Macan 176.40in Sportage
Width: 76.20in Macan 73.00in Sportage
Height: 63.90in Macan 65.20in Sportage
Ground Clearance: 7.80in Macan 6.80in Sportage
Wheel Base: 110.50in Macan 105.10in Sportage
MPG: 19 City/23 Highway Macan 20 City/24 Highway Sportage


However, numbers and pictures can only go so far and I wanted if the whole package sized up against each other. It's a good thing there is a Porsche dealer where I live.  


I am not too sure why this particular Macan was on the lot, but due to a lack of any window stickers or a sales hanger, I am guessing this was a customer car that came in for a service or repair. Judging by the amount of dust and dirt on the exterior, it has been here for some time (the dealer was closed at this early COVID-19 point).

Starting the comparison from the front, I could see some shared styling cues and was able get a good look at the ground clearance between the two. Both the Macan and Sportage are very "clean" underneath, meaning nothing is unnecessarily hanging down, like parts of the AWD system or the exhaust.


Through my eyes, both vehicles have very curvaceous exterior, a trait that lends itself to fuel economy in motion and stationary curb appeal.


From the back, the sporty, wraparound styling continues, completing the package very nicely for the Porsche and the Kia.


The image on the left shows off the interior of the Porsche Macan, bathed in way too buttons. On the right, the Kia Sportage is no less premium with options and features, but much more simplistic.

I think it's safe to say I did alright with the Kia Sportage and as days/months go by, time will confirm or deny this conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment