Thursday 21 June 2018

10 Days In May, or Absence and Disappointment, Part 5


Continued from It Fell From The Sky.

Thanks to the mysterious appearance of a basketball sized boulder and no options to avoid it, my Dodge Dart was dead. As it was being loading on the back of the recovery vehicle, my first thoughts flashed forward to how I was going to get to work, since the current job I was one required me to drive a considerable distance daily.

During my roadside phone conversation with the insurance claims agent, I was reminded that I had declined the "if you are in an accident, you can get a loaner car from us until it's fixed," coverage when I renewed my insurance, a mere seven days before. So, how was I going to get to work now?

Lucky for me, my wife just happened to have a car I could borrow.


There is a funny story, based on a lot of miscommunication at the time of how we (as a family) wound up with a 2016 Honda HRV and one of these days I might tell that tale. Nevertheless, it had been a fixture in our lives for nearly there years, at the time of this posting.



It easily outlived the ownership cycle of a few foolish-in-hindsight purchases I made during it's tenure.


Now, I had used the Honda before as a means of maintaining employment, driving to and from a ski resort a considerable ways out of town for a job I had with another security company, a few years before. My wife kept the 2004 Ford Freestar (the story of it's departure is here) for her own means purposes, since the newer, lower mileage HRV was more likely to complete the daily round trips without mechanical incidents.


Despite some scary looking road conditions during that era, the HRV proved to be very capable of handling it, thanks to decent winter tires.


Thanks in a huge part to having opposite schedules (she worked during daylight hours, I drove both to, from and worked when most normal people should be sleeping), being reduced down to one vehicle and not running into any timing conflicts could be achieved.  



However, it seemed during those ten days that nature was trying to keep my on my toes for road hazards. A collision with wildlife could be just as disastrous as hitting another boulder, or if the circumstances were totally not in my favor, deadly.


Sorry to end this part on a bit of an anticlimactic note, but the week and a half back and forth trips in the HRV turned out to be boring and routine....


....the excitement would come after that, when I got a call from the Chrysler about my Dart.

No comments:

Post a Comment