Thursday 19 March 2020

A Seoul Issue


Is this start up experience one would expect before setting off on a short or long trip in a vehicle, or is it just me?

I have already regaled about how I finally wound up in a used, but well loved Kia Sportage here and I was about to talk about all the bells, whistles and other nostalgic invoking features that put this vehicle in my driveway, however, that will have to wait for another time.

Turns out the Gremlins were wanting to make an early-into-ownership appearance.


With the papers signed and taking possession of the Sportage on what I will call Day 1, obviously getting fuel was on the list of proprieties. Topping off the tank and reading up for what kind of real mileage returns was crossed off the "to do" list. Next, it was time to find some quiet and twisty roads so I could put the 2.0 litre turbo through it's paces, without a saleman sitting beside me.

I wouldn't say I drove the Sportage extremely hard, but I was pouring on some aggressive driving techniques to get some pent up "youthful expression" out of my system, but more importantly, try and get this new car's capabilities and limitations to reprogram/override my RVR experience. Think of it as upgrading a driving human's operating system....

I pushed the tires and brakes to newly discovered limits, my butt sliding slightly in the leather seat as I took corners rather briskly. I listened to the burgle and howl of the engine, felt the road through the steering wheel and my eyes were flying wildly as they shifted attentive glances through windows and mirrors. I felt more like I had my batteries recharged after having been run dead for so long.

After getting that out of the way, I drove home in a more "conservative" manner, rather pleased this Korean SUV had surpassed my expectations in many areas. I got home and Day 1 ended without incident or a hint of what was to come the very next day.


Day 2 began like the past few days, with clear blue skies and warm, early Spring temperatures.

Since we lived in what some would consider to be "borderline country" just outside the city, I had a bit of a drive, going to a small mall to pick of a few household necessities. I climbed into the Sportage and tapped the Start button. It fired up without any cause for concern and I was off.

It was a solo Sunday Drive, except this was a Tuesday, no limits were pushed. Down the hill and round the corners, a nice leisurely excursion. My heart didn't start racing nor did the sweat begin to flow until I got to the store and experience what was taking place there.


A scene that is almost everywhere.

Empty store shelves and folks walking around in masks is how I am going to remember 2020. COVID-19, but I still call it by it's earlier name, Cornovirus, has gripped  the world and people are panic buying everything, even stuff they wouldn't normally purchase. I feel like I am trapped in one of those "End of Days" movies and no one bothered to give me a script. Nevertheless, I quickly got what I needed and made my way out of the store as quickly as I could.

Out in the parking lot, I started the Sportage and was about to make my escape when something didn't sound right. The engine was running rather rough. Stepped on the gas pedal a few times, the roughness just got louder and the whole vehicle began to vibrate. I shut it down.

After waiting a few seconds, because sometimes patience can reset certain things, I start the Sportage again. Nope, the rough, barely idling engine greeted for a second time. I put the vehicle into Drive and gave a little gas. No instant power, but I was moving very slowly. "Okay," I thought to myself, "I know exactly where we are going."


My first experience with "limp home mode" was nearly 20 years ago, shortly after I bought a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE from a dealer. No power and a rough idle from the engine, snail crawling through the gears, that memory was mirroring what was happening right then with the Sportage.

From the mall, I planned on using "less traveled roads" to get to the dealership. I didn't want to be the focus of angry drivers by taking main arteries and suffering a complete power failure at a stop light, or worse, in motion. Manually shifting from Drive into Neutral, timing my gas peddle stabbing and easing the brakes, the trip took almost 40 minutes. Under normal circumstances, it would have been a 20 minute jaunt.

I pulled in, got out and walked into the dealership and headed straight for the saleman's desk I sat at less than 24 hours before. Turned out he got that day off and I was spotted by the manager who remembered our brief encounters the other day. He listened as I explained what I experienced and his response to me, when he took my key fob was "I will take care off this." I was shocked, since my less-than-pleasant Chrysler ordeal was foremost on my mind during this episode.

I sat in the Customer Lounge for around 20 minutes when the manager appeared. "It could be a minor issue, but I want to be very sure about this. It might take an hour, but would you be prepared if I kept it here overnight?" he asked me. I was trying to shake the stun off. "Sure," was about all I could muster from my mouth. "Great," he said, "I got a loaner for you, the gas is on me."


More on the Kona, later....

No comments:

Post a Comment